The Board of Health is responsible for safeguarding the health of the town's residents. Their specific responsibilities include:
- Issuing permits for septic systems;
- Dealing with safe disposal of night soil;
- Monitoring ground water for possible contaminants;
- Monitoring leaching from the landfill;
- Regulating the use of underground fuel storage tanks;
- Inspects and licensing food establishments;
- Monitoring the quality of pond and lake water to safeguard the shellfish supply;
- Issuing tent permits;
- Inspect and test for lead paint;
- Providing public information and education on common health hazards.
The Board of Health is the only board that may pass a regulation without a public hearing.