Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Chilmark Town Seal

Spacer
Link to Departments
Link to Board of Selectmen
Link to Town Committees
Link to Summer Information
Link to Permits and Forms
Link to Dump
Link to Documents & Bylaws
Link to How To
Link to Useful Sites
Link to Chilmark Photos
Link to Email Subscriber
Link to Vendor Opportunities
Link to Job Opportunities
Link to Commonwealth Connect
Spacer
Code Red Emergency Notification System

Code Red Emergency Notification System

Public Records Requests Guidelines

Public Records Requests

Pay Bills Online

Website Disclaimer
Welcome to the Town of Chilmark, MA
Tri-Town Ambulance Committee Minutes 03/08/17
TRI-TOWN AMBULANCE
West Tisbury  Chilmark  Aquinnah
        
Chief Ben Retmier, Tri-Town Ambulance Chief
P.O. Box 457  West Tisbury, MA. 02575
PHONE/FAX: 508·693·4992




Tri-Town Ambulance Committee
March 8, 2017 Meeting Minutes

The meeting was called to order by Committee Chair Jim Newman at 12:04 p.m.

In attendance

Richard Knabel, Committee Member, Warren Doty, Committee Member, Jim Newman, Committee Member, Chief Retmier, Deputy Chief Montanile,  Allison Graczykowski, Admin Assistant


  • Approval of February 1 and February 15, 2017 Meeting Minutes
Richard Knabel moved to approve the February 1, 2017 meeting minutes. Committee member Warren Doty seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

Richard Knabel abstained from voting on the February 15, 2017 meeting minutes as he was not in attendance.
Warren Doty moved to approve the February 15th, 2017 meeting minutes.  Chair, Jim Newman seconded the motion.  The motion passed unanimously.

.
  • Old Business
Committee Member Warren Doty shared that the Chilmark town meeting will take place on April 24th and that there is a warrant article for $200,000 for the purchase of an ambulance and three stretcher systems. The funds will become available on April 25th, 2017.  Chief Retmier replied to the committee that the Aquinnah ambulance will be replaced and that the Chilmark ambulance will be nursed along. Committee member Richard Knabel asked about impact of purchasing a new ambulance for Chilmark later and if this will impact fleet standardization. Chief replied that there will be a little bit of impact until such time the Chilmark vehicle is replaced.


  • New Business
Reserve Receipt Fund – Discussion on Changing the 80/20 Ratio

Chief Retmier states that to not request money from the tax payers that we could consider changing the ratio of what percent of revenue collections is applied to the budget and what percentage is applied to the reserve account.  
Committee conversation on how this impacts the budget. Some of the highlights of the discussion are that the towns will be asked for more money in their assessment. Towns will pay 5% of the receipts more, towards the fiscal year budget.  It is unlikely the budget can be tailored to absorb this. Chief Retmier states that in the meeting minutes from February 15, 2017, the quick math showed that after two years of having 25% of the revenue collections applied to reserve account we would have roughly $182,000 in the reserve account in January of 2019.

Committee member Warren Doty is in favor of amending the agreement to a 75/25 ratio. Committee member Richard Knabel and Committee chair, Jim Newman are also in favor.
  

Committee member Warren Doty shared that we need a process and asked who else needs to approve this. Chair Jim Newman asked that Allison send this out to each town as a Board of Selectmen Agenda item for the next meeting.

Committee member Warren Doty motioned to approve the amendment of the agreement from: “Revenues received by Tri-Town as insurance reimbursement shall be distributed as follows: 20% to the Capital Improvements and Replacement Fund.  The remaining 80% to be credited equally to the member towns.” To: “Revenues received by Tri-Town as insurance reimbursement shall be distributed as follows: 25% to the Capital Improvements and Replacement Fund.  The remaining 75% to be credited equally to the member towns”. The Committee agrees that this change will become effective upon approval of the three towns Board of Selectmen. Committee Chair, Jim Newman seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.  










  • TTA Chief Report

        
Three Month Review

Chief Retmier shared that over the last three-month period Tri-Town Ambulance has had 59 incidents. During this same three-month period, last year, Tri-Town Ambulance had 55 incidents.   Year to date Tri-Town has had 40 runs, as compared to last year during the same time frame, there were also 40 runs.

As requested by the committee, Chief Retmier provided overdose information in the handout. Over the course of five years, there were a total of 21 overdoses. This number reflects suspected overdoes due to alcohol poisoning, prescription overdose, cocaine and opioid.  Chief Retmier shared that there were six total opiate overdoses, and two overdose fatalities. One in 2011 and one in 2015. Chief shared that there appeared to be a significant increase in overdoses in 2015 but it appears that the numbers began dropping in 2016. Narcan has been helpful and better education. The committee discussed the impact on Martha’s Vineyard and shared information and knowledge that they have in regard to the epidemic.

Update on Ambulance Cost

Chief Retmier shared that he has multiple emails into Dave Rich at Bull Dog. Depending on whether TTA goes with a 2017 or 2018 model year chasse may impact the exact price. We do not know the price difference at this time. Chief Retmier believes that the cost is still about $160,000- $165,000 and the stretchers are about $10,000.00 each.


Charity Hockey Game/Touch a Truck Event

Chief Retmier shared with the committee that this upcoming Saturday a charity event supporting Martha’s Vineyard Youth Hockey is being held. The hockey game is Police vs. Fire/EMS.  There is a “Touch a truck” event before the charity game beginning at 5:00 pm and Tri-Town Ambulance will have an Ambulance there. The event is free with raffles, t-shirt sales and a bake sale.  The hockey game begins at 6:00 pm.
Chief shared that this will be great fun for all public safety and the community.



  • Comstar Update
Allison Graczykowski, Administrative Assistant reviewed the collections to date with the Committee. Collections continue to go well.


  • Next Meeting Date  
The next meeting will be held on April 5, 2017, 12:00 pm at the West Tisbury Fire Station on State Road, West Tisbury.  

  • Adjournment
Committee member Richard Knabel motioned to adjourn the meeting at 12:55 pm. and Committee member Warren Doty seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
.



        
        
Prepared by:  _____________________________________________
                     Allison Graczykowski, Clerical Assistant


Spacer
Return to Home Page
Chilmark Town Offices: Chilmark Town Offices: 401 Middle Road, P.O. Box 119 02535-0119
Spacer
Spacer
Spacer