Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Chilmark Town Seal

Spacer
Link to Departments
Link to Board of Selectmen
Link to Town Committees
Link to Summer Information
Link to Permits and Forms
Link to Dump
Link to Documents & Bylaws
Link to How To
Link to Useful Sites
Link to Chilmark Photos
Link to Email Subscriber
Link to Vendor Opportunities
Link to Job Opportunities
Link to Commonwealth Connect
Spacer
Code Red Emergency Notification System

Code Red Emergency Notification System

Public Records Requests Guidelines

Public Records Requests

Pay Bills Online

Website Disclaimer
Welcome to the Town of Chilmark, MA
Planning Board Minutes 09/24/18
APPROVED
Chilmark Planning Board
Sept. 24, 2018
Present: Rich Osnoss, Peter Cook, Chris MacLeod, Mitchell Posin, Catherine Thompson
Not Present: Janet Weidner, John Eisner
Public & Board/Comm. Members:  Warren Doty, Clark Goff, Landry Harlan, David Smith, Wendy Weldon, Howard Grimm
Staff: Jennifer Christy, Admin. Asst
Meeting was called to order at 4:30 PM
  • Zoning Bylaw Discussion:
  • The Board looked at the zoning bylaw changes submitted to the Board regarding swimming pools.
  • Cathy Thompson, Peter Cook and Wendy Weldon agreed to meet and discuss the ZBA’s requested changes to the section of the zoning bylaws regarding the swimming pool regulations on October 2, 2018 at 4PM.
  • Mr. Doty was present to discuss the Board of Selectmen’s request for the Board to review zoning bylaw amendments that would make the Town a “Green Community”
  • Two key elements for Green Community designation:
  • Stretch building code adoption
  • A-of-right zoning bylaw
  • Discussion occurred regarding the as-of-right zoned area for renewable energy:
  • Mr. Doty suggested land at the former Town landfill site where there is approximately 5 acres and suggested that a minimum of 1.5 acres could be designated the as-of-right renewable energy zone.
  • Mr. Osnoss asked whether there is thinking about the existing solar array at the Town’s former landfill. It was confirmed that this is the property that is being considered for the site.
  • Mr. Cook suggested that the Town would need engineering plans to help determine what is possible at the Town’s former landfill.
  • It was decided that Ms. Christy would work with Mr. Doty to provide, by the next meeting on October 9, 2018, examples of zoning bylaw amendments.
  • Mr. Doty requested the Board consider creating a zoning bylaw that addresses the noise at late night in Town. Mr. Cook made a motion to establish a zoning bylaw that codifies the established custom of restricting outdoor amplified music after 10PM. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.        
  • Squibnocket Boat Launch:
  • Mr. Silva presented the plan submitted by applicant Vineyard Open Land Foundation (VOLF).
  • Brief discussion occurred.
  • Mr. Cook made a motion to endorse the Form A plan and the motion was seconded. The Board voted unanimously to endorse the plan.
  • Guest House:
  • The Board agreed to discuss this topic at their meeting on October 22, 2018 when the working committee has returned with the report on the pros and cons.
  • Correspondence:
  • The Board reviewed correspondence regarding the Brian Vanderhoop DEP pier application.
  • The Board reviewed the letter that the Board sent to the DEP in May of 2018 in response to the initial application by Mr. Vanderhoop.
  • The Board read aloud the letter from Kara Shemeth of Schofield, Barbini & Hoehn, Inc. (SBH, Inc.), dated Sept. 12th, 2018. The Board also read aloud an attached letter from Brian Vanderhoop that was included with the letter from SBH, Inc.
  • The Board read loud Deborah Packer’s letter dated Sept. 21, 2018.
  • The Board briefly discussed the topic. The Board voted to send a response letter to Kara Shemeth of SBH, Inc. stating that they support the decisions and actions of the Harbormaster and the Board of Selectmen with a copy to Carlos Fragata of the DEP.
  • Weisman Lot, Map 32, Lot 57 Preliminary Discussion:
  • Mr. Osnoss read aloud an email from Mr. Weisman regarding his attendance at today’s meeting.
  • The Board discussed the topic and Mr. Osnoss asked Ms. Christy to place the topic on the October 9th meeting in order to provide guidance to Mr. Weisman.
  • Continued Discussion re Green Communities:
  • The Board asked Ms. Christy to please invite Mr. Jason, Building Inspector, to the next meeting of the Board on October 9th, 2018.
  • Minutes:
  • The Board reviewed the Sept. 10, 2018 draft minutes. They were approved with one change.
  • Update from Subcommittee on the Menemsha Master Plan Work:
  • There was no update from the subcommittee.
  • Next Meetings:
  • October 9, 2018, 4:30PM
  • Documents:
  •  
Meeting adjourned at 6:35PM. Minutes respectfully submitted by Jennifer L. Christy


Spacer
Return to Home Page
Chilmark Town Offices: Chilmark Town Offices: 401 Middle Road, P.O. Box 119 02535-0119
Spacer
Spacer
Spacer