Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Chilmark Town Seal

Spacer
Link to Departments
Link to Board of Selectmen
Link to Town Committees
Link to Summer Information
Link to Permits and Forms
Link to Dump
Link to Documents & Bylaws
Link to How To
Link to Useful Sites
Link to Chilmark Photos
Link to Email Subscriber
Link to Vendor Opportunities
Link to Job Opportunities
Link to Commonwealth Connect
Spacer
Code Red Emergency Notification System

Code Red Emergency Notification System

Public Records Requests Guidelines

Public Records Requests

Pay Bills Online

Website Disclaimer
Welcome to the Town of Chilmark, MA
Planning Board Subcommittee Minutes 06/11/18
APPROVED
Chilmark Planning Board Subcommittee Meeting
Monday, June 11, 2018
Present: Janet Weidner, Chair, Peter Cook, Joan Malkin
Not Present:
Public: Debbie Packer, Clark Goff, Ann Wallace, David Damroth, Charles Parker, Wendy Weldon, Candy & Richard Shweder
Staff: Jennifer L. Christy
Meeting called to order at 3:01PM:
  • Discussion occurred regarding the next steps for the Menemsha plans:
  • Ms. Packer attended the subcommittee meeting and suggested the subcommittee perform a site visit of the area of North Road opposite the Homeport restaurant. She reiterated her concern with a plan to eliminate or substantially reduce the vegetation along the area identified.
  • Ms. Packer noted that there have been concerns from the owners of the Greenebaum house with visual impacts from the Menemsha Market and the Homeport restaurant, such as illuminated soda machines (which needed to be removed due to complaints from the homeowners) and noise issues from the businesses.
  • Ms. Packer also noted that the trees and vegetation that are growing on the edge of North Road provide a substantial screen and a habitat for wildlife. Ms. Packer noted that newly planted vegetation has difficulty thriving if it is not closely tended to from the beginning.
  • Ms. Weidner stated she would welcome another site visit to the area.
  • Mr. Cook stated that the Greenebaum family has been working with the Board to try to address the safety issues that are apparent in the area and are of concern to certain parties, even if the safety concerns are not of concern to other groups.
  • Ms. Weidner stated that she will work with the various groups to organize a site visit and will be sure to invite Ms. Packer as soon as it is scheduled.
  • Mr. Cook suggested that it is possible that the existing vegetation should be examined in order to see if there is a possibility that it needs to be tended to and encouraged to grow rather than eliminated.
  • Review and Discussion of the Open Topic List:
  • Ms. Weidner stated that a logical next step for the planning work after Menemsha master plan is to plan the Town Center.
  • Ms. Malkin stated she had spoken with Dan at MVC regarding Open Space planning. Dan had mentioned to Ms. Malkin that 5 out of 6 Towns on the Vineyard had begun planning for Open Space and she would like Dan to be invited to a Board meeting in the future to explain the process for updating the Town’s Open Space Plan.
  • The subcommittee next reviewed the Guest House item on the list. The subcommittee noted they reviewed the ZBA’s 2013 memo regarding clarification of the zoning bylaws.
  • It was determined that the Building Inspector should be asked if he is satisfied with the definition of a Detached Bedroom, particularly the description of what plumbing and cooking.
  • The subcommittee asked Ms. Christy if she would also inquire with the Fire Chief whether 7500 gallons, as identified in the zoning bylaws, is a sufficient amount in his opinion.
  • The Board reviewed the item, Affordable Housing and Small/Tiny Houses. They noted that the Housing Committee had recently sent a note to the Board to consider the one acre or less that one acre lots for affordable housing. It was determined that a meeting should occur with the Housing Committee to be able to ascertain the Housing Committee’s view on the topic.
  • Ms. Weidner suggested that the data that was collected during the Housing Production plan process could be useful in order to identify trends and would possibly direct the Board in the development of initiatives that are beneficial to the Town.
  • The subcommittee briefly heard from Ms. Malkin about the recent Green Communities meeting. The Green Communities project is a way to facilitate the establishment of energy-efficient, renewable energy infrastructure. The subcommittee asked Ms. Christy to contact Rob Hannemann and let him know that the Board is ready to hear from him about the next steps for Chilmark becoming a Green Community when appropriate.
  • The subcommittee reviewed the last 5 topics:
  • Visitability-keep this on the Open Topic List, check in with Peter Temple on the status
  • Short-term Rentals-subcommittee decided to wait until state legislation is enacted
  • Marijuana Regulation-subcommittee wants to keep this topic on the list, but there is no progress on this topic
  • Tax incentives to encourage Affordable Housing-the subcommittee reviewed the email from the Housing Committee on March 15, 2018 regarding a tax incentive program on Provincetown, MA.
  • Solar Regulations-Ms. Malkin asked that Ms. Christy to send these to her again for review.
  • Minutes:
  • The minutes from April 23 & May 14, 2018 were reviewed and approved as written.
  • Next Meetings:
  • July 9, 2018, 3PM
  • Documents:
  • Island Towns Guest House Zoning Bylaw Comparison Chart
Meeting adjourned:   4:29PM
Minutes respectfully submitted by Jennifer L. Christy


Spacer
Return to Home Page
Chilmark Town Offices: Chilmark Town Offices: 401 Middle Road, P.O. Box 119 02535-0119
Spacer
Spacer
Spacer