Chilmark Planning Board Subcommittee Meeting
Monday, June 4, 2018
Present: Janet Weidner, Chair, Peter Cook, Joan Malkin
Staff: Jennifer L. Christy
Meeting called to order at 3:04PM:
- Zoning Bylaw Work: Guest House
- Brief discussion occurred regarding the plans for discussion of an amendment to the Guest House zoning bylaw restriction on size.
- It was noted that the discussions, after today, would be occurring at the Planning Board meetings on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month beginning on June 11th.
- Mr. Cook summarized two avenues of progress forward: determine if the Residential Building Size Regulation (RBS Reg) should itself govern the amount of square footage for all buildings overall rather than the Town maintaining set limits on certain types of buildings regardless of the RBS Reg. Or, determine that the RBS Reg should not govern the issue and the Board should evaluate an increase of the living area for Guest Houses on its own merits.
- The Board discussed the issue more and reviewed the draft chart detailing the Island Towns’ Guest House regulations.
- Mr. Cook stated it would be beneficial to identify the criteria that are important to the Town, such as density, so that the assessment of Guest House bylaw change addresses the Town’s current climate.
- Ms. Malkin asked if Ms. Christy would find who was on the Planning Board at the time of the establishment of the Guest House zoning bylaw and reach out to them to see if they would attend a Board meeting in order for the Board to try and understand the reasoning, at the time, of the need for a Guest House zoning bylaw.
- Ms. Christy was asked again to invite Ginny Jones, of the West Tisbury Planning Board, to attend a Planning Board meeting.
- Menemsha Master Plan & Master Plan Work Discussion:
- Ms. Weidner discussed the plan for the Board of Selectmen’s meeting on June 5th and the review of the Menemsha walk-around checklist. Ms. Weidner plans to attend the Board of Selectmen meeting on June 5th.
- Ms. Weidner notified the Board that she will be meeting with the Police Chief Jonathan Klaren at the Galley on June 5th to view the pedestrian/customer safety options.
- Beach Passes for Accessory Apartments, Detached Bedrooms and Guest Houses:
- Tim Carroll visited the Board to discuss an issue that has arisen at the Beach Sticker office. He asked if Detached Bedrooms and Accessory Apartments should be awarded beach passes. It was determined that Guest Houses are allowed their own beach passes. It was further determined that the Detached Bedrooms and Accessory Apartments most likely should not have beach passes of their own, but the Board agreed to look into it and get back to Tim about it.
- Tim Carroll spoke with the Board about the status of Menemsha updates.
- The minutes from May 14, 2018 were not reviewed.
- Action Items from May 14, 2018 Meeting:
- Ms. Christy is to find the data on Guest House size in the other island towns and the timeline for changes and why there was a change.
- Island Towns Guest House Zoning Bylaw Comparison Chart
Meeting adjourned: 4:20PM
Minutes respectfully submitted by Jennifer L. Christy