Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Chilmark Town Seal

Spacer
Link to Departments
Link to Board of Selectmen
Link to Town Committees
Link to Summer Information
Link to Permits and Forms
Link to Dump
Link to Documents & Bylaws
Link to How To
Link to Useful Sites
Link to Chilmark Photos
Link to Email Subscriber
Link to Vendor Opportunities
Link to Job Opportunities
Link to Commonwealth Connect
Spacer
Code Red Emergency Notification System

Code Red Emergency Notification System

Public Records Requests Guidelines

Public Records Requests

Pay Bills Online

Website Disclaimer
Welcome to the Town of Chilmark, MA
Planning Board Minutes 03/12/18
APPROVED
Chilmark Planning Board
March 12, 2018
Present: Janet Weidner, Joan Malkin, Mitchell Posin, Peter Cook, Chris MacLeod
Not Present: Rich Osnoss, John Eisner
Public & Board/Comm. Members: Wendy Weldon
Staff: Jennifer Christy, Admin. Asst., Lenny Jason, Tim Carroll
Meeting was called to order at 4:32 PM
  • Planning Discussion:
  • Discussion occurred regarding what the Planning Board should focus on and how it should operate: proactively or reactively.
  • Mr. Jason suggested that the Board develop subcommittees that could address individual issues.
  • Mr. Cook stated he will send part 2 of a document that he has drafted that has approximately 12 questions that the Board should consider in order to focus their direction.
  • It was agreed that the topic will be discussed at the next Planning Board meeting and that Mr. Cook will provide his document prior to that meeting.
  • Guest Houses Warrant Article Petition Discussion:
  • Ms. Weidner presented what has occurred with this topic up to this point.
  • Discussion occurred about the best way forward on the issue of the Guest House petition.
  • Mr. Cook stated the question of allowable square footage of Guest Houses is a valid and important question and advocated for the action that the petition be rescinded because he did not feel that a vote on the petition at Town Meeting, as written, would be beneficial to the process needed to deliberate on the important question of Guest House size.
  • Ms. Malkin suggested that a subcommittee be formed of interested people who will listen to the Town during hearings and develop a recommendation or proposal to the Town.
  • Ms. Malkin made a motion to examine the Guest House zoning bylaw, in particular but not necessarily limited to, the size of the Guest House. The motion was seconded and voted unanimously.
  • Ms. Malkin requested the other Board members to think of members who could serve on the subcommittee by the next meeting.
  • More discussion occurred about the possible changes to the Guest House bylaw and the origins of the Guest House bylaw particulars.
  • Mr. Cook suggested that a “brief” or “proposal” be written that addresses the problem (s), the issues that affect the problems and the various alternatives that would possibly address the problem (s). He suggested this would be instrumental in beginning the discussion and moving forward.
  • More discussion occurred regarding the various topics that are brought forward by the Guest House alteration issue.
  • Form A Marjorie Scheuer, Map 34, Lots 3, 4.1 & 4.2:
  • No person from Schofield, Barbini & Hoehn was present to discuss the Form A application for Marjorie Scheuer.
  • The Board, after brief discussion, decided to postpone discussion to March 26, 2018 (the 20th day after submission) and asked Ms. Christy to contact Mr. Abbot regarding attending the March 26 meeting.
  • Correspondence:
  • The Board made a motion to allow the payment of the invoice for filming the Feb. 9, 2018 forum. The motion was seconded and all ayes were voted.
  • Menemsha Master Plan discussion:
  • Mr. Cook notified the Board of Mr. Carroll’s inquiry about whether the Board would recommend re-using the pilings, currently being removed from the Channel, by installing them as the “stanchions” for parking delineation that were recommended by Mr. Brewster in his plan.
  • The Board decided, after discussion, that this opportunity should not be pursued and that Mr. Carroll be informed of this.
  • Minutes:
  • The minutes from Feb. 26, 2018 were reviewed and approved with changes.
  • Next Meetings:
  • Monday, March 26, 2018, 4:30PM
  • Documents:
  • Action Items for Mar. 26,  2018 Meeting and future:
  • Follow up with Request the Housing Committee provide the tax incentive information.
  • Follow up with forward of information about climate preparedness to Highway Superintendent and ask for direction.
  • Keep track of the non-usual tasks that the Administrative Asst. is asked to perform
  • Signature of John Eisner on certification letter to VLSE re Map 35, Lot 1.5
  • Plan site visit to Map 21, Lot 41.1
Meeting adjourned at 5:30 PM. Minutes respectfully submitted by Jennifer L. Christy


Spacer
Return to Home Page
Chilmark Town Offices: Chilmark Town Offices: 401 Middle Road, P.O. Box 119 02535-0119
Spacer
Spacer
Spacer