Chilmark Planning Board Subcommittee Meeting
Monday, January 8, 2018
Present: Janet Weidner, Chair, Joan Malkin, Peter Cook
Staff: Jennifer L. Christy
Meeting called to order at 3:07PM:
- Brief discussion occurred regarding the upcoming Board of Selectmen’s meeting on Tuesday, January 9, 2018 and the presentation of the Chilmark Master Plan Menemsha Report Part 2.
- Chilmark Master Plan: Menemsha Report, Part 2-Discussion
- The subcommittee discussed how the Board of Selectmen may progress after receipt of the Report Part 2.
- Members discussed how they would summarize the work that has been completed and the work that still needs to be done.
- Ms. Malkin noted there are two elements of what they are looking at: the Menemsha Report Part 2 and the Brewster report.
- Brewster Menemsha Public Forum on Friday, Feb. 9, 2018:
- It was discussed the tasks to prepare for the forum.
- Place an announcement of the forum in the Jan. 25th & 26th and Feb. 1st, 2nd & 8th, 9th papers.
- Have the announcement go out via the News & Announcements in the week prior to the forum.
- Notify the BOS of the upcoming forum on January 9th and January 23rd.
- Plan for MVTV to attend the forum.
- Request that Bill Brewster prepare a presentation that could be shared later via the website.
- Request that Bill bring along large versions of the sketches he has done for the plan. Or, see if the Town Hall could print a series of the pictures from the report in large format to hang on the wall.
- Chilmark Master Plan Interim Report re Menemsha, (Preamble):
- Discussion occurred re how the preamble report will be used.
- Mr. Cook stated the main question that should be grappled with in the new Master Plan is what kind of Town the residents want Chilmark to be. A major issue, he noted, is affordable housing.
- Discussion occurred regarding other major topics that should be addressed in the final Master Plan.
- Ms. Weidner stated she would like to reread the last version of the HPP report.
- She also noted that one way to move forward may be to ask each of the Boards, Committees and other groups what they feel would be the top three issues that would need to be dealt with in the future.
- Mr. Cook stated that a philosophy was revealed through the work to prepare and present a Menemsha Master Plan Part 2. He stated that the Report Part 2 made clear that the subcommittee and Board recommend changes that would enhance the safety and ease of navigation in Menemsha without sacrificing Menemsha’s traditional fishing industry and feel.
- Ms. Malkin noted that Ms. Weidner’s suggestion to ask the Town’s Boards, and Committees for their feedback on the three most important issues is a good one that should be followed by putting questions to the Town to try to elicit what is most important to the Town.
- Master Plan Topics Brainstormed for Future
- Open space
- Public Transportation
- Affordable Housing
- All-Island cooperation
- Elder services
- Fire, PO, EMT
- Climate Change
- Town Center
- Demographic data
- Library, Town Hall & Community Center
- Zoning Bylaws
- December 13, 2017 minutes were reviewed and approved as written.
- Board of Selectmen Meeting, January 9, 2018, 5PM
- Subcommittee Meeting, January 17, 2018, 9AM at Menemsha Comfort Station
- Zoning Board of Appeals, January 24, 2018, 4PM: ‘Big House Bylaw’ biennial report
- Conservation Commission Meeting (re bus turnaround at Comfort Station): February 21, 2018?
- Action Items for Dec. 13, 2017 and Jan. 8, 2018 Meetings:
- Distribute the HPP report for Chilmark to the subcommittee members
- Determine the extent of all-island services
- Determine the time that Mr. Brewster will attend on Friday, Feb. 9, 2018.
- Communicate with Mr. Brewster to determine if he will bring a powerpoint to the forum.
- Print out large versions of Mr. Brewster’s sketches.
- Put into calendar a notice to the community of the February 9, 2018 forum in the newspaper columns in the three weeks leading up the forum.
- Notify admins and chairs of the upcoming February 9th forum.
- In May, prepare for a possible forum for the summer residents.
- Menemsha Report Part 2 dated 12/7/2017
- Brewster Final Analysis & Recommendations for Menemsha, dated October 30, 2017 with appendix added in December 2017.
- Peter Cook’s Interim Report/Preamble dated 12/11/2017
Minutes respectfully submitted by Jennifer L. Christy