Chilmark Planning Board Subcommittee Meeting
Monday, Nov. 27, 2017
Present: Janet Weidner, Chair, Joan Malkin, Peter Cook
Staff: Jennifer L. Christy
Meeting called to order at 3:30PM:
- Chilmark Master Plan: Menemsha Report, Part 2
- The subcommittee members reviewed the latest draft, dated November 21, 2017.
- The members discussed a few small changes to the draft in preparation to finalize the report.
- The members planned to have a final draft of the report ready for the December 19th Board of Selectmen’s meeting.
- Discussion occurred regarding the recommendation to establish a Menemsha Review Board.
- Ms. Weidner agreed to present a final draft at the December 19th BOS meeting.
- Further Master Plan Discussion:
- The subcommittee members discussed the next steps.
- Ms. Malkin suggested that the next step would be to facilitate the implementation of the recommendations in the Report, Part 2.
- It was noted that an open forum would be beneficial to have in the new year.
- Ms. Malkin suggested that an open forum be scheduled for January with William Brewster and an illustrative talk of the plan for Menemsha. Ms. Malkin further suggested that there be some way to collect responses from the public during this time. Further, she suggested that the subcommittee identify priorities in the implementation, in concert with Tim Carroll.
- Ms. Malkin stated that the Brewster proposal could be hung at the library and a suggestion box could be stationed at the library.
- Ms. Weidner stated that the process for gathering responses could be more controlled and efficient.
- Mr. Cook stated that the reason a lot of detail is provided in the report, in terms of implementation, is to show that the committee has looked at the options and investigated each of the options. It could serve as a template for the way that other Master Plan topics will be reviewed. He further stated that there is no need to get formal feedback from the public since that is primarily what has been done in order to get to the point where a report is issued.
- Ms. Malkin stated that the plan to have William Brewster present the Menemsha plan in a library open forum is a way to provide the public with an opportunity for buy-in of the idea and she is a proponent of sharing the plan as widely as needed.
- Mr. Cook discussed the benefit of creating an opportunity for more formal input.
- Ms. Malkin stated that she would welcome opportunities for informal or formal input.
- Ms. Malkin suggested that there could be a two-part open forum plan with the subcommittee hosting a Q & A about the plan after a presentation forum with William Brewster.
- Mr. Cook stated there are benefits to openly discussing the plan in a series of forums.
- Future Master Plan Work Plans:
- It was discussed how to go forward on the work. It was planned to make a session of a January 2018 Planning Board subcommittee meeting a time to discuss the correct steps forward for addressing the update of a new Master Plan.
- It was noted that a way to go forward would possibly be to look at the old Master Plan and identify topics that are appropriate and also topics that are missing.
- November 22, 2017 were reviewed and approved as amended.
- Subcommittee Meeting, December 11, 2017, 3PM
- Agenda item: January Forum Planning
- Subcommittee Meeting, December 18, 2017, 3PM tentative
- Action Items for Dec. 11, 2017:
- Obtain final report from William Brewster and arrange a public forum in January with Mr. Brewster.
- Could the final report be ready by the December 11th meeting.
- Put into calendar a notice to the community of the January forum.
- Prepare the Report, Part 2 for the BOS December 19th meeting.
- Chilmark Planning Menemsha Corridor Plan for Improvement: Analysis & Recommendations, dated October 30, 2017
- Menemsha Master Plan Preliminary Report Part 2 dated 11/21/ 2017
Minutes respectfully submitted by Jennifer L. Christy