Chilmark Planning Board
Nov. 13, 2017
Present: Joan Malkin, Rich Osnoss, Chairperson, Janet Weidner, Peter Cook, Chris MacLeod, John Eisner
Not Present: Mitchell Posin
Public: Reid Silva
Staff: Jennifer Christy, Admin. Asst.
Meeting called to order at 4:32 PM
- The minutes from Sept. 25, 2017 were reviewed and approved as written.
- The subcommittee updated the other Board members on the status of the Menemsha planning.
- Ms. Malkin requested that Ms. Christy send the other Board Members the most current report from Mr. Brewster.
- Ms. Weidner noted that safe pedestrian passage has become a key focus for this winter and next spring.
- Discussion occurred about the next steps for the Master Planning process.
- The Board reviewed the correspondence in the packet.
- The Board reviewed Mr. Dworsky’s request to amend the approved August 14th meeting minutes:
- Ms. Christy was asked to contact Mr.Dworsky regarding clarification of his request for amendment since it could not be determined the exact amendment requested.
- Building Envelope Change Application, Estate of Alida Stange, Map 33, Lot 47, dated Aug. 27, 1979:
- Mr. Silva reviewed the building envelope request with the Board members.
- Ms. Malkin asked for Ms. Christy to review the situation when Ms. Weldon appeared before the Board in the spring of 2016 and detailed a change in roofline to a structure on her lot.
- Discussion occurred regarding the responsibilities of the Board as it pertains to changes in building envelopes as restricted by covenant with the Board.
- Mr. Cook stated the size of the lot (approximately 23 acres) is a key reason why he felt the minimal enlargement of the building envelope is not an issue. He noted there does not appear to be any issues with setbacks, view sheds or other impacts on neighboring lots. Mr. Cook further stated that the size of the proposed house (approximately 3000 sq. ft.), when considering the size of the lot, is relatively modest as well.
- Mr. Osnoss stated that the size of the house is governed by the residential building size regulation as well.
- Mr. Eisner asked if the topic warranted a site visit and wondered if counsel should be consulted regarding the responsibilities of the Board members as to the covenant.
- Ms. Malkin stated that she will abstain from the vote on this request. She noted this is because she feels the language of the covenant means that the envelope may be changed prior to the initial sale and not before each subsequent sale.
- Mr. Cook expressed some uncertainty that the covenant would, in effect, restrict a change to a building envelope only for the first sale, unless this was expressly stated. Mr. Silva noted he thinks the covenant document is most likely poorly written and that the covenant is not written to clearly state the actual direction for the Planning Board and lot owners.
- Mr. Cook made a motion to approve the request for an amended building envelope as submitted by the estate of Alida B. Stange.
- Mr. MacLeod seconded the motion. Mr. Osnoss brought the motion to a vote. 4 members voted in affirmative and two abstained.
- Building Envelope Change Application, 15 Round Pond Realty Trust, Map 35, Lot 1.5, dated Oct. 24, 2017:
- Mr. Silva reviewed the request and the plan with the Board members.
- Ms. Malkin made a motion to approve the request for a building envelope change as detailed on the plan. Ms. Weidner seconded the motion. All ayes.
- Form A: Martha Cottle, Trustee Map 24, Lots 29.2 & 166, dated November 7, 2017:
- Mr. Silva reviewed the Form A plan with the Board members.
- Ms. Malkin made a motion to endorse the Form A. Mr. Cook seconded the motion. All ayes.
- Monday, Nov. 27, 2017, 4:30PM
- Monday, December 11, 2017, 4:30PM
- NO MEETING on Monday, December 25, 2017
- All Island Planning Board Meeting: December 4, 2017:
- Discussion occurred regarding the suggestion of an agenda item to discuss the possibility of an island-wide refuse district.
- Mr. Cook alerted the Board that he is taking Ms. Malkin’s spot on the SPDAC. The Board members agreed to this change.
- Martha Cottle, Trustee Map 24, Lots 29.2 & 166 Plan & Application
- Building Envelope Change Application, Estate of Alida Stange, Map 33, Lot 47
- Building Envelope Change Application, 15 Round Pond Realty Trust, Map 35, Lot 1.5
- Action Items for November 27, 2017 Meeting:
- Send the Chilmark Planning Menemsha Corridor Analysis and Recommendations by William Brewster dated October 30, 2017 to the Board Members who are not on the subcommittee.
- Contact Mr. Dworsky to obtain clarification on the requested amendment to the Aug. 14 approved minutes.
- Send the FY19 budget worksheets to the Board members prior to the December 11, 2017 meeting.
- Request Tim Carroll to attend the December 11th Board meeting to review the departmental FY19 budget proposal.
- Request to be placed on a ZBA agenda in early 2018 to discuss the report to ATM 2018 on the progress of the Residential Building Size Regulation.
- Request to name attachments to emails more explicitly.
Meeting adjourned at 6:25 PM. Minutes respectfully submitted by Jennifer L. Christy