Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Chilmark Town Seal

Link to Departments
Link to Board of Selectmen
Link to Town Committees
Link to Summer Information
Link to Permits and Forms
Link to Dump
Link to Documents & Bylaws
Link to How To
Link to Useful Sites
Link to Chilmark Photos
Link to Email Subscriber
Link to Vendor Opportunities
Link to Job Opportunities
Link to Commonwealth Connect
Code Red Emergency Notification System

Code Red Emergency Notification System

Public Records Requests Guidelines

Public Records Requests

Pay Bills Online

Website Disclaimer
Welcome to the Town of Chilmark, MA
Planning Board Subcommittee Minutes 10/30/17
Chilmark Planning Board Subcommittee Meeting
Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2017
Present: Janet Weidner, Chair, Joan Malkin, Peter Cook
Not Present:
Public: Kent Healy, Greenebaum Family
Staff: Jennifer L. Christy, Tim Carroll, Chief Jonathan Klaren
Meeting called to order at 12:00PM:
  • Menemsha Master Plan Discussion:
  • The subcommittee discussed the issues surrounding a possible turn-around for the VTA bus behind the Menemsha Comfort Station.
  • Mr. Healy showed a plan that shows what’s under the ground behind the Comfort Station.
  • It was determined from the plan and from discussion that the VTA buses would need to travel an arc that is at minimum 100 feet from the back of the Comfort Station.
  • Mr. Healy stated that it would be possible to harden or strengthen the system, but the difficulties of permitting and the cost of a project would be significant.
  • There was discussion about what kind of space is necessary for the VTA buses to turn around.
  • More discussion occurred about the possibilities of reinforcing the leaching field and accompanying pipes and whether the area around the Comfort Station may not be ideal.
  • Mr. Cook suggested looking at alternatives such as possibly going a little farther down Basin Road.
  • Mr. Carroll reminded the Subcommittee of the Town Meeting vote to create a second “shell lot” on the North side of the Comfort Station for the purpose of providing an area for a VTA bus turnaround.
  • It was noted that the subcommittee would need to consult with the Armstrong family again to ascertain the preference that they had originally shared when the original idea for a turnaround in an additional shell lot was proposed.
  • It was noted that it would be beneficial to keep pursuing a solution to the VTA bus turnaround in a place other than the beach parking lot due, primarily, to safety concerns.
  • Mr. Greenebaum stated he is interested in working with the Town to help find a solution to the area of North Road that is abutting his lot which would help increase pedestrian safety and access.
  • Discussion occurred about the usefulness and desirability of a sidewalk that may be placed in the inside of cars that are parked along North Road.
  • Mr. Carroll suggested using the same type of roll-out walking material as is used at Lucy Vincent which is bounded by the same type of posts and rope as has been suggested for the area along Basin Road.
  • Mr. Cook stated that it would be helpful to know how much space, exactly, a real sidewalk would take up. Ms. Weidner suggested that William Brewster be asked to create a plan which shows the possible sidewalks.
  • Mr. Carroll stated that VLSE could put the idea on a plan easily. He suggested that the idea could be progressed in stages and there is already a plan this winter to remove the invasive species of plants  along the North Road Greenebaum lot and he noted that he thought it might be beneficial to plant shrubs a little farther back from the road in order to make room for a future sidewalk.
  • Mr. Greenebaum expressed support for a staged plan of shrub removal and replanting and he expressed support for replanting shrubs farther back on his lot to allow for a possible future sidewalk.
  • It was agreed that an elevation plan would be needed.
  • Discussion occurred regarding whether a retaining wall would be needed. Mr. Carroll stated that it may not be needed.
  • The subcommittee asked if Ms. Christy would reach out to Mr. Brewster to provide an elevation and a plan that would show the North Road area with the inclusion of a standard sidewalk.
  • Mr. Carroll stated there is a plan to repaint the center line along the North Rd section in this area of Menemsha.
  • Mr. Carroll stated by spring he’d like to thin out and remove the unwanted plants and to paint parking spaces. Mr. Carroll suggested a staggered, irregular planting pattern that serves as a windbreak. He also noted that the sidewalk should have some indents and not be a straight shot.
  • Ms. Weidner asked what the Town would pay in this case where an abutter would like to work with the Town to make a safer walking area. It was agreed the cost for this project would fall to the Town.
  • Ms. Malkin noted that it would be great to have this North Road project piece done within the year.
  • It was reiterated that Ms. Christy is to contact Mr. Turner to see if Mr. Brewster would develop a plan of just the North Road section showing the boundary with the Homeport parking lot, the roadway, a parallel parking area and a 5 foot, or approximate, area for a sidewalk. It was noted that Mr. Brewster should know that the abutters, the Greenebaum family, are interested in working with the Town.
  • The members decided to meet on Monday, November 6, to discuss the report received from Mr. Brewster, through Mr. Turner, on October 30, 2017.
  • Mr. Carroll suggested that he could place articles in the Special Town Meeting warrant for things that are low hanging fruit and which would improve safety, screening and passage. Mr. Carroll asked if, as they go through the report, to identify the items that could be done sooner and would be universally accepted.
  • Minutes:
  • Sept. 29, 2017 Approved as amended.
  • October 2, 2017 Approved as amended.
  • October 18, 2017 PB Approved as amended & ConComm Minutes
  • Ms. Malkin asked Ms. Christy to remember to include action items at the bottom of minutes.
  • Mr. Cook stated he would follow up with Mr. Carroll regarding a plan of the Comfort Station area.
  • Next Meetings:
  • Subcommittee Meeting, November 6, 2017, 3PM
  • Report from Consultant William Brewster, 10/30/2017 edition
  • Subcommittee Meeting, November 13, 2017, 3PM
  • Action Items for Nov. 6th:
  • Contact MVC re the possibility of a plan and section from Mr. Brewster of North Rd./Menemsha sidewalk area.
  • Obtain plan of Comfort Station
  • Determine “low-hanging fruit” items in the Brewster report that could be funded at an upcoming STM or the spring ATM.
  • Documents:
  • Chilmark Planning Menemsha Corridor Plan for Improvement: Analysis & Recommendations, dated October 26, 2017
  • Kent Healy Comfort Station Plan 2009
  • Menemsha Master Plan Preliminary Report
Minutes respectfully submitted by Jennifer L. Christy

Return to Home Page
Chilmark Town Offices: Chilmark Town Offices: 401 Middle Road, P.O. Box 119 02535-0119