Chilmark Planning Board Subcommittee Meeting
Monday, August 18, 2017
Present: Janet Weidner, Chair, Peter Cook
Not Present: Joan Malkin
Staff: Jennifer L. Christy
Meeting called to order at 10:00AM:
- Menemsha Master Plan Discussion:
- Mr. Cook presented his draft preamble to the subcommittee.
- Discussion occurred regarding the preamble.
- Mr. Cook noted Mr. Hodgkinson’s comment on page 4 of the Menemsha Master Plan summary regarding steamship data. Mr. Hodgkinson noted that much of the increase in the steamship traffic over the last 25 years has happened in more recent years. Mr. Cook noted that the takeaway is that demand to visit and park in Chilmark is not going to decrease.
- Mr. Cook also noted that Mr. Hodgkinson noted there has been no significant upgrade in infrastructure to adapt to this pressure.
- Discussion occurred regarding the island-wide planning issue of how much increase in traffic to the island can be sustained and what role the Steamship Authority plays in this problem.
- The members reviewed the Menemsha Master Plan Summary draft created by Ms. Weidner. Mr. Cook provided comments and agreed to take the summary home and review the document. Ms. Weidner stated her intention is to provide this to the Board of Selectmen in the next month or so.
- Mr. Cook noted there are two basic messages that should be presented to the Board of Selectmen: First, areas that should be considered for action in Menemsha and, second, the rewrite of the rest of the Master Plan. He noted that it will be important to state that it is the opinion of the Board that the Master Plan, as it exists, is largely still current and applicable. Mr. Cook further noted the preamble to the revised Master Plan would identify the key areas of the Master Plan that have been changed and updated.
- Mr. Cook noted that an important part of this very deliberative Master Plan review process is to promote the positive and beneficial discussion between town and island entities that have differing viewpoints and priorities.
- Mr. Cook noted he would email his preamble draft to Ms. Christy for distribution to the subcommittee members prior to the next meeting on August 30.
- Menemsha Master Plan: Max King’s VTA Bus #12 Map Discussion:
- Brief discussion occurred about the maps and the invoice submitted. The members discussed the possible feedback on the usefulness of the maps.
- The minutes from August 7, 2017 were not reviewed.
- August 30, 2017, 9AM: Subcommittee Meeting
- Sept. 11, 2017, 3PM:
- Draft Menemsha Master Plan summary
- Draft preamble to master Plan report to Board of Selectmen
Adjourned at 10:35AM.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Jennifer L. Christy