Chilmark Planning Board Subcommittee Meeting
Monday, April 11, 2016
Present: Janet Weidner, Chair, Joan Malkin
Public: Peter Cook
Staff: Jennifer L. Christy
Meeting called to order at 3:00PM:
- Menemsha Planning Discussion:
- Ms. Weidner reviewed her action outline, submitted at the meeting.
- Discussion occurred regarding the ‘actions’ on the outline:
- It was discussed how the Board should go about inviting people to be members of the Menemsha planning group.
- Ms. Malkin read aloud a draft letter the Board may send to committees and Boards in Town. The subcommittee decided to review the letter and return to the next meeting on April 25th with any suggested revisions.
- Mr. Cook suggested the subcommittee insert content in the letter that describes the intent of the initiative including the statements in the previous Master Plan iterations regarding Menemsha.
- Ms. Malkin suggested noting the past interests and foci for Menemsha in the letter with an invitation to further examine the plan for Menemsha.
- Mr. Cook suggested that one reason for a new examination of the Menemsha plan is to test the previous Master Plan’s ‘assumptions’ of what the townspeople thought were important in the past.
- Mr. Cook stated his interest in framing questions, in a letter to stakeholders, that would stimulate thinking.
- Ms. Weidner stated that the subcommittee should review the letter and make suggestions on how it should be written before the next meeting on April 25th. Ms. Weidner stated an accompanying document to the letter should be developed that states the goals of this planning process.
- It was discussed how the Board would arrange the input of information.
- The subcommittee brainstormed how a schedule would be arranged.
- Ms. Malkin suggested the Board agree on a letter on May 9, 2016 with response expected by June 13, 2016. Ms. Weidner suggested that the letter sent out after May 9, 2016 would invite anyone to the first meeting of the planning group on June 27, 2016. Ms. Malkin suggested that a proposed course of action be distributed at the June 27, 2016 meeting.
- The subcommittee discussed when a survey should be developed and what it should look like.
- Ms. Weidner suggested that the subcommittee meet with 8-10 committees and Boards throughout the summer to gather their input. She further suggested that the subcommittee develop a survey throughout the summer and suggested, that the general public be invited (through the town columns and through the news and announcements on the Town website) to attend the initial meeting on June 27th and subsequent meetings. Ms. Weidner suggested that the MVC’s Bill Veno may be helpful in formulating questions for the survey. It is suggested that the finished survey would be sent in October or November.
- The subcommittee further suggested that the public be notified about how to keep track of when the subcommittee is meeting and on what topics. It was suggested that the public be specifically invited to receive updates from News & Announcements on the Town’s website.
- Mr. Cook suggested that one possible outcome from the Menemsha planning process may be that the Board may create a climate for people to discuss the issues in a fruitful way.
- Ms. Malkin noted the Board would be useful as a conduit for ideas and recommendations. She characterized the Board’s role may be as facilitator in order to hear ideas and recommend courses of action.
- Ms. Weidner suggested that the Board meet with the Selectmen in November or December 2016 with the other Town Boards and Committees to present the process and progress to date of the planning for Menemsha.
- Ms. Malkin noted the importance of determining what the goal is for the planning in Menemsha. Ms. Malkin noted that the goal is a new Master Plan for Menemsha with concrete, tangible objectives that reflect the current views of the townspeople.
- Ms. Weidner stated the subcommittee should return to the April 25th meeting with a draft of the letter to Boards & Committees and a draft of the accompanying supporting document stating the objectives of the process.
- Ms. Weidner asked Ms. Christy to inquire when and where the Master Plan Training may occur here on the island.
- Minutes of February 4, 2016 & March 14, 2016 and March 28, 2016 were reviewed.
- Ms. Malkin made a motion to approve the February 4, 2016 minutes as written. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously. The minutes from March 14th and 28th were approved with changes.
- Meeting adjourned at 4:32PM.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Jennifer L. Christy