Chilmark Planning Board Subcommittee Meeting
Thursday, February 4, 2016
Present: Janet Weidner, Chair, Joan Malkin
Not Present: Jennifer Christy, Administrative Asst.
Public: Peter Cook, Pam Goff
Meeting called to order at 1:00PM:
- Historical House DRAFT zoning bylaw amendment Q & A revision:
- The Q & A draft handout was reviewed.
- Changes were made to the draft.
- Discussion occurred re the Houses covered by the proposed bylaw amendment. It was decided to amend the handout to say in the first sentence of the second paragraph of 1., “As of the date of the Chilmark Master Plan (1985) there were 79 houses identified as built prior to 1866.
- It was discussed who would present/respond at the Town Meeting. Pam will begin with the reason for the proposed bylaw amendment and Janet will provide other salient points regarding the proposed bylaw amendment and both will respond to questions with Joan.
- Joan suggested that the most simplified statement describing the impact of the proposed bylaw amendment is the bylaw would allow the Total Living Area of a Historic House to not be included in the calculation of TLA in order for there to be less incentive to demolish a Historic House.
- The word, “as”, added to the last sentence of the last paragraph of 1.
- The word, “their”, was added to the first sentence of the last paragraph in 4.
- Pam provided an update of the project to photograph the Historic Houses in Town that are listed in the Chilmark Master Plan.
- Discussion re future work of the subcommittee & Board:
- Ms. Malkin summarized the information she gathered regarding the Menemsha project from her attendance at the Board of Selectmen’s meeting (on Feb. 2, 2016).
- Joan reported that she offered the Planning Board’s assistance in planning for the Town and stated the Planning Board would welcome the opportunity to participate. Joan reported that she asked the Executive Secretary how the Planning Board could be involved. She reported that the Executive Secretary requested the Planning Board review and update the Chilmark Master Plan.
- Joan further reported that the Board of Selectmen are working with a committee chaired by Andrew Goldman, called the Town Buildings Committee.
- It was noted by Janet that the Planning Board would be useful in looking at the ‘big picture’ of planning for development in Town.
- It was noted the plan for Menemsha will be voted on at Annual Town Meeting.
- Discussion occurred regarding what the subcommittee would recommend as next steps for the Planning Board. Joan stated her desire for the Town to have confidence that the ‘big picture’ for Menemsha is attractive, safe and convenient and that people are informed about what they are getting. Janet stated the Board would need to quantify what the problems are and what would be a complete vision of parking, traffic, bus parking/traffic and parking for workers in Menemsha. Joan suggested that the Board try to integrate all the proposals into one map which shows all the elements including the new comfort station. Joan noted the Selectmen are concerned with creating a detailed plan. She further suggested that the newspaper be notified so that the public would be more informed and that a public forum be set up. Joan
clarified that the Board would be assisting the Executive Secretary and the BOS with an information session for the public for the overall plan. Peter noted that the BOS appear to be acting on long-time and known concerns, without the vision of an overall plan, and in order to spend as small amount of money as possible. He further noted that this will solve short-term problems, and be cheaper in the short-term, but will not solve the larger ‘big picture’ problems in Menemsha and in other areas of Town. Janet suggested the Board help to facilitate the provision of information to the Townspeople before the town meeting regarding the current plan and further suggested the Board review the Master Plan as a way to begin the study of what the Town would like to see in Menemsha in future years.
- Further brief discussion occurred.
- Member of the Subcommittee:
- The subcommittee members spoke with Peter regarding recommending his appointment as a subcommittee member. Peter stated he felt this should be discussed after the Annual Town Election on April 27, 2016.
- Minutes of December 14, 2015 or January 21, 2016 were reviewed and approved as written.
- Discussion re Building Inspector Suggestion at 1-21-16 Meeting:
- Discussion occurred regarding what an infrastructure plan would be.
- Joan suggested she would contact the Executive Secretary regarding the assistance of the Planning Board re publicizing of the Menemsha Plan. Peter noted the BOS should be informed the Planning Board needs to take into account the ‘smaller’ projects that occur in order to plan for the Town as a whole.
- Janet agreed to discuss the topic at the next Board meeting.
- February 8, 2016, 3:30PM (cancelled due to snow), March 7, 2016, 11AM
- Meeting adjourned at 12:49PM.
Minutes respectfully submitted by Jennifer L. Christy