Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Chilmark Town Seal

Spacer
Link to Departments
Link to Board of Selectmen
Link to Town Committees
Link to Summer Information
Link to Permits and Forms
Link to Dump
Link to Documents & Bylaws
Link to How To
Link to Useful Sites
Link to Chilmark Photos
Link to Email Subscriber
Link to Vendor Opportunities
Link to Job Opportunities
Link to Commonwealth Connect
Spacer
Code Red Emergency Notification System

Code Red Emergency Notification System

Public Records Requests Guidelines

Public Records Requests

Pay Bills Online

Website Disclaimer
Welcome to the Town of Chilmark, MA
Parks & Recreation Minutes 06/08/17
FINAL

Present for the Park & Recreation Committee and attending the meeting were:           Andy Goldman, Chairman, Warren Doty, Tim Carroll, Jane Slater and Chuck Hodgkinson.  Julie Flanders did not attend.     

The meeting came to order at 8:25 AM.
 
8-acre Town lot behind the land fill—Map 13 Lot 35:  Chuck H. confirmed a memo was sent to Selectmen with the Committee’s endorsement of the fishing gear storage use on this lot and a suggestion that alternative means of access be explored.  Mr. Doty said the Selectmen took no action on this project.

Lot 1 A:    Mr. Doty said the town counsel advised a bill of sale for the transfer of the fishing shack to Town ownership should be executed by the Selectmen.  He added the transfer will be for a price of $1.00.

Chuck H. distributed a draft application form for soliciting a tenant with a suggested timeline.  The Committee asked Chuck H. to place a Legal Notice in the Times announcing the availability of the lot and to place a copy of the notice in the Menemsha Texaco.  The Committee made slight changes to the applicant questionnaire and key dates.  Chuck H. will inform the four fishermen who have already expressed interest in the lot to pick up an application package.  The deadline for submitting all applications will be Friday, July 14 @ 4:00 PM.  The new tenant will be awarded the lot for the balance of 2017 and calendar year 2018.

2017 lot leases:  Chuck H. informed the committee that the 2017 lease packages were sent to all tenants except John Armstrong – Lot 1A.  He added we have received 4 of 6 executed leases and payments thus far -- Betsy, Alec, Karsten and Donald.  Matt Mayhew’s was put in Karsten’s mail box because Matt has a new mailing address for delivery and Stanley’s is still outstanding.

Formal request for a $20,000 CPA fund appropriation:   The Committee discussed sending a request for the Community Preservation Committee’s (CPC) consideration at a planned fall Special Town Meeting.  Chuck H. informed the Committee that the current warrant deadline is August 11 and he recommended submitting the request for the CPC’s review at its June 21 meeting.  Mr. Doty added he is the Park & Recreation Committee’s representative on the CPC.  A motion was made to ask the CPC to consider a $20,000 CPA Park & Recreation fund request to restore the exteriors of the Town-owned fishing shacks and/or bring wiring up to power code—as needed.  The motion was seconded.  In discussion it was agreed that if approved, the structure for this appropriation will be similar to the way in which the Historical Commission oversees the CPA stone wall restoration appropriation.  The motion came to a vote and passed unanimously with four in favor.

2018 lot lease application form and timing:  Chuck H. distributed a draft application form that will be sent to all current tenants for the Committee’s review before agreeing to renew each lot lease for 2018.  The timing has a goal of executing all leases in December 2017 for calendar year 2018.  The Committee made a few due date adjustments on the timeline.  Chuck H. will send the packages out in July or early August.  It was agreed the lot lease application forms and rules and regulations will be sent in this package.  It will not include a lease for the 2018 calendar year.  The leases will be sent to the selected lot applicants in November – after reviewing the applications and the 2018 tenants are agreed among the committee.  All applications are due on Tuesday,                         October 5 @ 4:00 PM.

Proposed amendment to Bulkhead Rules and Regulations # 7:  The Committee reviewed the proposed amendment to this section of the rules and regulations.  The amendment adds a clause regarding the maintenance of town-owned fishing shacks.  A motion was made and seconded to approve the amendment as written.  The motion passed unanimously with four in favor.

Mr. Goldman added that he would like to suggest an amendment to the bulkhead lot lease for those lots with town-owned fishing shacks.  The Committee agreed and Mr. Goldman offered to provide a draft at the next meeting.

Town maintenance of the creek lot shacks:  Mr. Carroll offered for discussion the thought of whether or not the Town should also pay for the exterior maintenance of the privately-owned fishing shacks across the Basin on the creek-side lots.  After discussion the Committee agreed this is not within the Park & Recreation’s jurisdiction.

Administration:  
The May 11, 2017 meeting minutes were reviewed and approved as amended by consensus.

The next meeting will be Friday, July 21, 2017 @ 8:00 am to review the applications for lot 1A.  The Committee further agreed to hold its regular meetings on the third Thursday of each month at 8:00 AM—instead of the second Thursday’s of each month.

With no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 9:35 AM.

Respectfully submitted, Chuck Hodgkinson, CAS


Spacer
Return to Home Page
Chilmark Town Offices: Chilmark Town Offices: 401 Middle Road, P.O. Box 119 02535-0119
Spacer
Spacer
Spacer