CHILMARK HISTORICAL COMMISSION
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 2017 @ 4:00 PM
- Meeting minutes: Review November 15, 2016 meeting minutes.
- David Damroth: Review proposed renovations and the addition of a bedroom and kitchen to the historic farmhouse at 4 Austin Pasture; Map 33 Lot 85.
Town Master Plan historic resource # 28: Simon Vincent-Austin-Stange-Sands house, opposite # 27i c. 1770-80. One of the last sheep farms at Quitsa. There is a presumed dolmen (called locally a “cromlech) on the property (#18, 21). Original central chimney replaced by two small stacks in 19th century. Now a transverse stair hall.
- Mid-20th century houses: Review the Assessors list of houses built in the 1950’s and 1960’s.
- Wednesday, July 19, 2017 Guest Speaker at the Library: Thanks to John Flender, the Historical Commission has the opportunity to sponsor a lecture given by David Foster about his new book documenting the ecological history of the island titled: “A Meeting of Land and Sea”.
David is the director of the Harvard forest, an internationally renowned expert on long-term ecological study and a summer resident in West Tisbury.
Alex Bushe (film on Nomansland).
- Other old business or new business.
- Next Meeting: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 @ 4:00 PM.
Architect Chuck Sullivan: Review renovation designs and the addition of a mud room to the historic house located at 16 South Road; Map 11 Lot 20.
Town Master Plan historic resource # 90: Jared Vincent-Norton house, c. 1887, South Road near West Tisbury line.
The property also has an historic barn: No work is proposed for the barn.
Town Master Plan historic resource # 41: McCollum-Norton Barn: South Road near West Tisbury line; c. 1800. Original a “salt box,” with later additions. Moved back from roadside, converted to a barn.