Human Resources Board of Chilmark
January 11, 2018 APPROVED MINUTES
Present: Jennie Greene, Chair, Bruce Golden, Don Leopold, Chuck Hodgkinson, Employee Representative, Jim Malkin, Selectmen’s Representative
Not present: Max McCreery
Public/ Board or Comm. Members:
Staff: Jennifer Christy, Admin. Asst., Tim Carroll, Executive Secretary
Meeting called to order at 8:03AM
Town’s Sexual Harassment Policy Review:
- Board members reviewed the Section 1.1 in the Procedures Manual, the 1996 Sexual Harassment Policy, and the State’s Model Sexual Harassment Policy.
- After discussion, the Board reviewed the Section 1.1 in the Procedures Manual and the Model Sexual Harassment Policy and discussed the proposal that the Board recommend the adoption by the Town of the model policy in addition to the Section 1.1 Procedures Manual section.
- Mr. Leopold discussed section IV of the Model Policy. Mr. Leopold inquired where information regarding who receives a complaint is included in the policy if at all.
- Discussion occurred regarding the existence of two policies: Model Policy and Town’s Discriminatory Policy in Section 1.1.
- Mr. Golden inquired about the right to be accompanied by a lawyer during a complaint as noted in the Town’s Procedures Manual section 1.1.
- Mr. Hodgkinson suggested the Board ask Attorney Collins to review all policies.
- Ms. Greene recommended that sexual harassment training be made available for staff and others who would like to participate.
- Mr. Leopold stated he would probably be able to attend the training in Boston on Thursday, January 11, 2018.
- The Board members closely reviewed the Section 1.1 and recommended changes and recommended questions to be posed to Attorney Collins.
- Discussion occurred regarding how employees are protected from harassment from those other than fellow employees of the Town.
- Ms. Greene asked Ms. Christy to amend the Section 1.1 as discussed in redline and then send the amended version with the questions and the intention to include a reference to the Model Sexual Harassment Policy and the intention to adopt this policy by the Town to Attorney Collins for comment and review by the HRBC at the next meeting.
- Discussion occurred regarding how to assess whether the Town’s process is working.
Harbor Dept. Update:
- Mr. Malkin informed the Board that the Harbor will be advertising the new Harbor position and notified them that the new position will have more hours than previously and will be located in the Harbor area in the summer.
Continued Discussion of Town’s Sexual Harassment Policy Review:
- Discussion occurred regarding how the records of complaints are filed.
- Discussion occurred regarding whether there should be a process for which a person may discuss a situation with a person and that conversation is outside of the formal sexual harassment complaint process.
- Mr. Leopold suggested the appointment of a person who is completely outside of the Town system as a contact person.
- Mr. Malkin suggested that Attorney Collins be asked if an employee may come to discuss an uncomfortable situation that may or may not be discrimination and not have it made a formal complaint.
- The Board voted to inquire with Attorney Collins the following questions:
- The wording of “unreasonably” on page 2 of the Procedures Manual
- Elimination or editing of the section bracketed
- Dec. 7, 2017: Reviewed and approved as written.
- Thursday, February 1, 2018, 8AM
- TriTown Ambulance Administrative Asst. Position Description
- Chilmark COLA Adjustment Formula
- Consumer Price Index Information
Meeting adjourned at 8:40AM