Human Resources Board of Chilmark
Sept. 29, 2017 APPROVED MINUTES
Present: Jennie Greene, Chair, Bruce Golden, Steven Flanders, Don Leopold, Chuck Hodgkinson, Employee Representative
Not present: Max McCreery, Jim Malkin, Selectmen’s Representative
Public/ Board or Comm. Members: Warren Doty
Staff: Jennifer Christy, Admin. Asst., Tim Carroll, Executive Secretary, Pam Bunker, Asst. Assessor, Chief Jonathan Klaren, Ellen Biskis, Town Accountant, Diana DeBlase, Asst. to the BOS/Receptionist
Meeting called to order at 8:00AM
- Ms. Greene opened the meeting.
- Ms. Greene asked for confirmation from Board members of the following statements:
- The Board voted to move to the new wage scale that was voted at the August 22, 2017 meeting of the Board of Selectmen (14% change grade-to-grade in Grades 1-6 and 11% change in grade-to-grade in Grades 7-12)
- The Board voted that all employees would be moved to the new wage scale (voted by the Board of Selectmen on August 22, 2017) and to the same grade and step.
- The Board voted that those Chilmark positions that were shown to be compensated at 5% or lower than the mean for those positions, as compared island-wide, would be reviewed.
- Board members confirmed that these were the actions of the Board.
- The Chairperson reviewed a draft report provided from Mr. Carroll.
- Mr. Golden arrived at meeting: 8:07AM
- The Chairperson requested Mr. Hodgkinson to distribute and explain a new chart.
- Mr. Carroll arrived at meeting: 8:08AM
- Mr. Hodgkinson presented the new chart titled: CHILMARK WAGE ADJUSTMENTS 9/28/2017
- Discussion occurred regarding the determination of mean within grades and how to use the data to place positions on the new wage scale. It was noted that the new wage scale imposes some limitations when attempting to place the Chilmark positions at wage rates that are closest to the mean rate of compensation for that position island-wide.
- Further discussion occurred regarding the need to focus on the mean of the grades in the new wage scale and a determination as to which grade each position should be placed.
- Ms. Greene stated that the chart that has been presented today is the best that the Board may be able to get to and asked if there is a motion to accept the information presented.
- Mr. Golden made a motion to adopt the higher grades for the positions in the presented chart and this new wage scale.
- Mr. Hodgkinson inquired, if that is the motion, where will the positions start (the step) on the new grade.
- Discussion occurred and the Board members reviewed the chart again.
- Mr. Golden stated the information satisfies the goal that was set.
- Mr. Hodgkinson discussed three positions listed on the bottom of the chart for comparison purposes: Asst. Library Director/Youth Services, Cemetery Superintendent, Beach Superintendent. He stated that the Asst. Library Director/Youth Services position needs to be flagged to be looked at.
- The motion was seconded by Mr. Flanders.
- Mr. Carroll discussed the Admin. Asst. position as needing review as well due to the data suggesting that it is an undercompensated position. More discussion occurred.
- The chairperson brought the motion to adopt the higher grades and steps as proposed in the chart presented today to a vote.
- All ayes.
- The motion passed unanimously.
- The Chairperson stated the Administrative Assistant and the Asst. Library Director/Youth Services positions do need to be reviewed in the future. Ms. Greene stated the important step is to calculate a “price” that may be forwarded to the Board of Selectmen for the fall Special Town Meeting.
- Mr. Hodgkinson suggested that the Board could do the review of the Administrative Assistant and the Asst. Library Director/Youth Services positions for FY19 and stated the deadline for the FY19 budget is within two months.
- Mr. Doty informed the Board that the Special Town Meeting is now scheduled to November 27, 2017 and thanked the Board for their work.
- The Chairperson stated the Police Sergeant position will need to be reviewed as well.
- Next Meetings:
- Thursday, October 5, 2017, 8AM
Meeting adjourned at 8:44AM