Human Resources Board of Chilmark
May 4, 2017 APPROVED MINUTES
Present: Jennie Greene, Chair, Bruce Golden, Steven Flanders, Max McCreery. Chuck Hodgkinson, Employee Representative, Steve Lewenberg
Not present: Jim Malkin, Selectmen’s Representative
Public/ Board or Comm. Members:
Staff: Jennifer Christy, Admin. Asst., Tim Carroll, Executive Secretary, Police Chief Jonathan Klaren,
Meeting called to order at 8:02AM
- Board members discussed the holiday pay issue as described in the April 6, 2017 minutes.
- Chief Klaren explained the procedure for compensating employees who are paid a regular 40 hour week, even if one of the days of the week is a holiday, but who also work on the paid holiday: that employee would be paid time and one half for the work on the holiday thereby effectively receiving two and one half times pay for the day.
- FLSA Compensatory Time Accrual Memo:
- The letter from the Executive Secretary was reviewed and discussion occurred.
- Mr. Carroll stated the purpose of the memo is to primarily remind department heads and others of the procedure for overtime and compensatory time accrual.
- Mr. Hodgkinson stated he would like time to review the bylaws and the procedure manual and he asked for the topic to be placed on the next agenda.
- Ms. Greene stated the topic would be placed on the June agenda.
- Chief Jonathan Klaren re new dept. employee:
- Chief Klaren summarized the recent search and hiring process for a new police officer in the Police department.
- The new employee has agreed to a starting date and starting rate as presented and the employee was appointed at the last Board of Selectmen’s meeting on Tuesday, May 2, 2017.
- Chief Klaren stated the employee would begin at Step 2 and, based on the performance of the employee, could move up to a Step 3 at the completion of the six months probationary period and then be eligible for a regular step increase at July 1, 2018.
- At the end of one year of employment, the officer could join the collective bargaining agreement.
- Chief Klaren stated the officer would begin on the week of May 21, 2017.
- The Board asked Chief Klaren to invite the officer to an upcoming meeting of the Board. The next meeting of the Board is June 1, 2017.
- HR Subcommittee Update re Classification & Compensation Study:
- Ms. Greene summarized the work of the subcommittee and stated the subcommittee has met once.
- The minutes from April 6, 2017 were reviewed and Mr. Golden moved to accept as written. The motion was seconded and the minutes were approved unanimously.
- Further discussion occurred about the compensation of employees who work on a holiday or who are part-time, but year-round, and are scheduled to work on a holiday and do not work that day.
- Mr. Hodgkinson stated he would draft an amendment to the HR procedures manual and present the amendment at the next meeting of the HRB on June 1, 2017.
- Extensive discussion occurred to gain an understanding of overtime pay, holiday pay and how the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) differs or aligns with the Chilmark HR Bylaw.
- The Board agreed that the FLSA needs to be reviewed and also the definition of a per diem employee needs to be reviewed.
- Mr. Lewenberg requested that Chief Retmier attend the next meeting of the Board to explain the procedure.
- Mr. Hodgkinson stated he would draft proposed amendments to the Procedures Manual for consideration at the June 1, 2017 meeting. He stated the four items that need addressing are:
- Straight time holiday pay for part-time year round employees
- Overtime pay, and hiring and compensation procedures for per diem and seasonal employees
- FLSA requirements as outlined in the memo from the Executive Secretary
- EMT compensatory time and how it relates to the FLSA
- Mr. Lewenberg stated his opinion is to ask the department head to write down a clarification of their procedure for part-time year-round and seasonal employee compensation and the procedure for per diem employees. He asked that the department head then come to the Board to discuss the clarification and to join a conversation of whether the clarification should be included in a Procedures Manual. The Board agreed this was an acceptable way forward. It was generally agreed that the issue came down to a management issue and that the department heads should be made aware of the issues.
- Mr. McCreery volunteered to work with Tim to develop a clarification. Mr. Hodgkinson stated he would work on the clarification of straight time holiday pay for part time year round employee compensation.
- Marijuana Regulation:
- Brief discussion occurred regarding the inquiry of the Executive Secretary regarding any consideration of proposed regulation of use of marijuana by employees. Ms. Greene stated that the Board had determined it was not necessary to propose regulation before the state had completed the process of its own regulations.
- The Executive Secretary stated that the Town’s counsel has recommended that the Town adopt a regulation to address marijuana use by employees.
- Next Meetings:
Meeting adjourned at 8:53AM