Human Resources Board of Chilmark
February 2, 2017 APPROVED MINUTES
Present: Jennie Greene, Chair, Bruce Golden, Max McCreery, Chuck Hodgkinson, Employee Representative
Not present: Steve Lewenberg, Steven Flanders Jim Malkin, Selectmen’s Representative
Public/ Board or Comm. Members:
Staff: Jennifer Christy, Admin. Asst., Tim Carroll, Executive Secretary, Jonathan Klaren, Police Sergeant
Meeting called to order at 8:14AM
- Classification & Compensation Study:
- The Board members reviewed scope provided by Mary Aicardi of the Collins Center.
- Mr. Carroll distributed the email and documents that he received from Mary Aicardi from the Collins Center last night, a final scope of work and a contract to sign.
- Discussion occurred and no action was taken.
- Recommendation Report from subcommittee re Regulation & Taxation of Marijuana Act:
- The Board reviewed a Town of Chilmark Marijuana Policy DRAFT.
- Discussion occurred. Sergeant Klaren asked what the actions should be if a person tests positive for marijuana but he/she is not impaired on the job.
- More discussion occurred about the usefulness and applicability of the DRAFT policy.
- Mr. Hodgkinson suggested more research of the topic.
- Mr. Golden stated that there should be a zero-tolerance policy for substance abuse during work hours and also stated he was not sure that there should be a policy as drafted.
- Ms. Christy offered to locate and send Board members and attendees any existing substance use/abuse policies and also send the Board members and attendees the information that was originally sent by Attorney Jack Collins.
- Mr. Carroll stated the town’s insurance company is interested in the Town adopting a policy.
- No action was taken at the time and it was agreed to look at the issue again on March 2, 2017.
- Language for Proposed Bylaw Amendment concerning Employee Representatives:
- Brief discussion occurred regarding the proposed bylaw amendment.
- Discussion occurred about the purpose of the proposed amendment. Discussion occurred about how an employee would be affected if the elected employee representative was their supervisor.
- More discussion occurred about whether a bylaw amendment is needed to address the issue and whether there are procedures, policies and bylaws that already address the concerns.
- Mr. Golden moved to withdraw the proposed bylaw amendment addressing whether supervisors/department heads serving as employee representatives to the HRBC. The motion was seconded. Brief discussion occurred. The Board voted to withdraw the proposed bylaw amendment from the ATM 2017 warrant.
- The draft report was considered and the Board accepted the report for insertion in the 2016 Annual Town Report as written.
- The minutes from January 5, 2017 were reviewed. They were approved as amended.
- Topics not reasonable anticipated by the Chairperson at the time of posting:
- Mr. Carroll reminded the Board that the Town needs to appoint a person to be the Sexual Harassment Officer. The Board reviewed the sexual harassment policy that is included in the HR Procedures Manual. Mr. Carroll asked if any Board members would be interested in taking the sexual harassment training. He further noted that there needs to be two people named as sexual harassment officers. Ms. Christy will provide any documents that are on file regarding sexual harassment policy and a history of the appointment of sexual harassment officers to the next meeting at March 2, 2017.
- Mr. Carroll noted that overtime policies need to be reviewed and asked if a Board member would volunteer to work with him to review the overtime policies and possibly recommend changes.
- Brief discussion occurred. Discussion occurred about the ramifications of allowing an employee to gain overtime pay if the employee (40 hour worker) is out sick for 4 hours in a given week and then must shovel snow for 4 hours on the weekend. Should the employee be paid overtime even though the bylaw states that the employee is not eligible for overtime due to the fact that the employee did not work the full 40 hours in the week.
Meeting adjourned at 9:20AM