Human Resources Board of Chilmark
December 1, 2016 APPROVED MINUTES
Present: Jennie Greene, Chair, Bruce Golden, Max McCreery, Steven Flanders Jim Malkin, Selectmen’s Representative, Brian Cioffi, HRBC Staff, Representative, Steve Lewenberg
Public/ Board or Comm. Members:
Staff: Jennifer Christy, Admin. Asst., Tim Carroll, Executive Secretary, Ellen Biskis, Town Acct., Ben Retmeir. TriTown Chief
Meeting called to order at 8:07AM
- These minutes were reviewed and approved:
- October 18, 2016: Approved with one change.
- October 27, 2016: Approved as written.
- November 3, 2016: Approved as written.
- November 10, 2016: Approved with one change.
- Mr. Malkin suggested, after review of the minutes in November, that the Board develop a more rigid structure for the discussion of topics that the Board is charged with deliberating. Mr. Malkin further stated that one outcome of a more structured format for the discussion of appropriate topics, particularly during the position description and grading discussions, would eliminate any discrepancies in influence on discussion by attending members.
- Discussion occurred regarding how Human Resource Board meetings may best be structured for the efficient and beneficial deliberation of issues.
- Employment Issues for Use and Possession of Marijuana:
- Mr. Carroll summarized his memo describing the information received from Town Counsel.
- Mr. Carroll directed the Board to the last paragraph of the memo which states a request for action by the Human Resource Board.
- The Board discussed the various situations that may arise and which would need to be addressed in new policy for marijuana use. One particular situation concerning the use of marijuana for medical reasons while employed was discussed.
- Mr. Cioffi suggested the consideration of the recommendations of Town Counsel. Mr. Carroll supported this suggestion.
- Ms. Greene suggested that Mr. Cioffi and Mr. McCreery meet to develop a recommendation back to the Board for recommendation to the Board of Selectmen.
- More discussion occurred regarding how impairment from marijuana use is detected, particularly in the workplace.
- Classification & Compensation Study:
- Ms. Greene related her discussion with a researcher at UMass Boston who may assist with the completion of a classification and compensation study. Ms. Greene asked if the Board would agree to send the information that has been gathered so far in the classification and compensation study to the researcher at UMass Boston so that completion of the study may be reached and a revised FY18 plan may be brought to the Town.
- A motion was made to follow the suggestion of Ms. Greene.
- Mr. Carroll suggested a scope of work should be developed so there is a clear understanding of what the Town would like receive.
- Mr. Lewenberg also suggested determining what the product is that will be provided at the completion of a study done by UMass Boston and only providing information and data that is relevant for that end result.
- A motion was made to adopt the draft budget presented in the packet with one increase in the advertising line to $80.00. The motion was seconded.
- Discussion occurred regarding the administrative assistant hours. Mr. Carroll suggested the Board increase the number of hours for the administrative assistant if it continues to meet more than once in a month. Ms. Greene stated that she has no intention of meeting more than once per month.
- Discussion occurred regarding the possibilities of remote participation in a meeting.
- Mr. Lewenberg requested that he listen in to the Board meetings while he is away.
- Mr. Cioffi suggested that the Board may want to consider requesting permission to allow remote participation.
- Mr. Malkin suggested the Board of Selectmen may not support the establishment of remote participation for Board members.
- Ms. Greene asked Mr. Carroll if he would send to her more information about remote participation.
- Topics not reasonable anticipated by the Chairperson at the time of posting:
- Next Meetings:
- December 15, 2016, 8AM Tentative Meeting
- January 5, 2016, 8AM
Meeting adjourned at 9:12AM