Present for the Conservation Commission and attending the meeting were: Candy Shweder, Chairman, Joan Malkin, Vice Chairman, Sandy Broyard, Pam Goff, Maureen Eisner, Bob Hungerford, Russell Maloney and Chuck Hodgkinson. Reid Silva and Chuck Sullivan also attended. Chris Murphy did not attend.
The meeting came to order at 12:35 PM. Ms. Shweder appointed Alternate Commissioner Russell Maloney as a voting member for the day’s agenda.
NOI SE 12 - 793 REID SILVA FOR AMY S. COHEN; 4 Chocker’s lane; AP 33-50: Ms. Shweder opened the public hearing at 12:40 PM. Mr. Silva reviewed revised plans to remove several decks, a well house and an existing carport, build an addition to the house, a new deck and covered entry way. The septic system will be upgraded to replace a cesspool. All of the activity is within the 100-foot buffer zone of a Bordering Vegetated Wetland. The abandoned well house is on the wetland edge; the limit of work for the house renovations is approximately 20 feet from the wetland edge. Mr. Silva outlined the new proposed scope of work. The Commission discussed at length the foundation details and site management plan. With no public
comment a motion was made to close the hearing at 1:02 PM. The motion was seconded and unanimously approved. Ms. Broyard said she will not vote on this proposal as she knows the owners quite well. Ms. Shweder acknowledged this and said we have a sufficient number of voters to consider the proposal. A motion was made to approve the revised plan in accordance with the following outline of work and with several special conditions as noted.
Revised Scope of Work
- All work will be conducted on land in the buffer zone that is already developed. The area of covered living area will increase + 158 sq. ft. – from 1,556 sq. ft. to 1,714 sq. ft. The actual footprint of the house will be reduced as a portion of the car port will be removed and re-vegetated.
- Remove the existing car port and enclose a portion of the footprint. The newly enclosed section will have a frost wall, crawl space foundation constructed. This section is approximately 40 feet from the wetland edge. The remainder of the car port footprint will be re-vegetated with grass.
- Enclose the section of the existing deck on the west side of the house to the south edge of the house. This section will be supported on piers and is approximately 46 feet from the wetland edge.
- Remove the existing entry step and platform and replace it with a relocated new covered, open entry porch. A new outdoor shower will be built adjacent to the new entry porch on the southeast side of the house. This work is approximately 37 feet from the wetland edge.
- Remove the existing well house and install a new well in a location that abuts the driveway on the south side of the house. The new well will be approximately 7 feet from the wetland edge.
- Upgrade the existing 3-bedroom septic system. The new system is approximately 94 feet from the wetland edge.
- An updated site plan that is consistent with the revised scope of work shall be provided before work begins. This site plan shall indicate the outer limit of the work area (approximately 20 feet from the wetland edge), label the staging area within the driveway, identify the various foundation systems by segment and include all siltation barrier locations.
- The current decks shall not be enclosed.
- The excavation spoils will be used as follows:
- Foundation: will be used as excess fill for the upgraded septic system.
- Septic installation: will be re-used in the upgraded system.
- Well cuttings: will be contained by installing silt fencing and staked hay bales located between the drilling area and the wetland.
- All siltation barriers shall be installed and approved by the Conservation Agent before work begins.
- If the scope of work changes the applicant shall return to the Commission for review before the changes are executed.
The motion was seconded and with no further discussion passed with five in favor and one abstention (Ms. Eisner).
PARTIAL CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE; SE 12 – 593; JUDY JARDIN; Ocean View Farm Road; AP 25-101: Chuck H. explained an Order was issued in 2009 to upgrade buried utility service for several properties off Ocean View Farm Rd. This is a request for a partial certificate for the work done on Judy Jardin’s property – which has been sold. He recommended a partial certification for this lot only. The remaining lots AP 25-104, 110 have not requested a certificate. A motion was made to accept the report and issue the partial certificate of compliance. The motion was seconded and unanimously approved with seven in favor.
PARTIAL CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE; SE 12 – 575; ALLEN FLANDERS VIEW CLEARING; Flanders Lane, Cove Rd., Hammett Hill Drive; AP 26-31.1: Chuck H. explained an Order was issued in 2009 to Kay Matshullat to open and maintain a water view across several properties. Allen Flanders is selling his lot and would like a Certificate for the work done on his property. After reviewing several photos Chuck H. recommended issuing a partial certification for this lot only. The remaining lots AP 26-21, 28, 29, 30.2, 31.2 and 31.3 have not requested a certificate. A subsequent motion was made and seconded to accept the report and issue the certificate as outlined. The motion passed unanimously with seven in favor.
PARTIAL CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE; SE 12 – 631; ALLEN B. FLANDERS; Flanders Lane, Hammett Hill Drive; AP 26-31.1: Chuck H. explained this is for another Order that was issued in 2011 to Allen Flanders to open and maintain a water view across several properties. As with the previous Certificate Mr. Flanders is selling his property and would like a Certificate for the work done on his lot only. Several photos were reviewed and Chuck H. recommended issuing the partial certificate. The remaining lots AP 26-30.2, 31.2 and 31.3 have not requested a certificate. A motion was also made and seconded to issue the partial certificate of compliance as recommended. The motion came to a vote and passed unanimously with seven in favor.
The draft June 21, 2017 meeting minutes were reviewed and approved as presented by consensus.
Order of Conditions Cohen; SE 12 - 793; AP 33-50.
Partial Certificate of Compliance SE 12 – 593; Jardin; AP 25-101.
Partial Certificate of Compliance SE 12 – 575; Flanders; AP 26-31.1.
Partial Certificate of Compliance SE 12 – 631; Flanders; AP 26-31.1.
The discussion of the bylaw violations and landscapers and the tear down versus maintenance definitions was deferred to the next meeting.
The next meeting will be Wednesday, August 2 @ 12:30 PM.
With no further business to discuss the meeting adjourned at 1:20 PM.
Respectfully submitted by Chuck Hodgkinson, C.A.S.