Chilmark Beach Committee
September 10th, 2009
Present: Clarissa Allen, Pam Bunker, Steve McQuiggan, Kristin Maloney, Martina Mastromonaco, Chief Cioffi
1. Meeting called to order 7:08 pm.
2. Voted to approve August 13th & August 25th minutes.
3. Discussion about trying to have lifeguards that will stay thru September. Martina stated she tries to have a few high school students to help with shoulder seasons.
4. October 6th, 2009 will be a Selectmen’s meeting to discuss emergency procedures. The Police, Fire, Tri-town and Beach Committee are requested to attend.
5. Reviewed the incident which occurred at Squibnocket beach. Martina the Beach Superintendant stated a patron cut out of line with her car and disregarded Martina’s direction about keeping in line. Words were exchanged between the patron and beach superintendant then Martina said the patron almost ran her down with her vehicle and then almost ran the gate attendant down as well. Martina called for police assistance on her radio which can be a “dead zone”. Chief Cioffi expressed concern about radioing for police assistance on a known dead zone area and stated the emergency phone should be used is these situations to
directly speak to 911. Suggestion from a committee member to review print outs or computer for the description of the vehicle.
6. Superintendant requested obtaining chalk lines to mark off spaces in the Squibnocket parking lot. Standard parking spaces are 8’ wide. Chalk is temporary and non-toxic. Could clearly show the middle lines of the parking lot.
7. Discussion took place about different problems in Squibnocket parking lot. Speeding , etc.
8. Discussed goal to all employees not working more than 40 hours in a pay period. The hiring of two Asst. Superintendants for next season. This point was brought up by the Personnel Board member who attended last months meeting. This will be worked on this winter during the budget process.
9. Dr. Timothy W. Tsai, the emergency room Physician wrote a letter complimenting the lifeguards on duty the day the drowning victim was brought to the hospital.
10. Discussion about the South side private beaches considering hiring a lifeguard on high surf days.
11. The Beach stairs at Squibnocket beach are to be left up thru November. Beach Committee will confer with Board of Selectmen.
12. Voted to adjourn 8:55pm.
13. October 8, 2009, next meeting.