Chilmark Beach Committee
August 25th, 2009
Present: Clarissa Allen, Pam Bunker, Steve McQuiggan, Kristin Maloney, Steve Lewenberg, Martina Mastromonaco, Ben Rossi, Todd Hitchings, Jordan Hoehn, Hallie Britt, Brandon Willett & Josh Robinson-White
1. Meeting called to order 7:10 pm.
2. A letter was submitted to Beach Committee from a group of senior lifeguards. Each lifeguard was requested to read their statement about their objection to the August 13th vote capping the beach employees at 50 hours per week. Much discussion took place and it was decided by the committee that the current scheduling will remain in place until the closing of the beaches. The committee will be discussing staffing methods for the beaches during the shoulder seasons. It is the opinion of the committee that no single employee be scheduled to work over 50 hours a week. The committee stressed their belief that the
superintendant’s hours should not exceed 50 hours a week.
3. Discussion took place with a representative from the Personnel Board. It has been a concern of the beach committee of repeated excessive hours worked by the superintendant. The Committee continues to believe that no employee should work more than 50 hours a week in a job where saving lives are on the line as well as their own safety. Steve Lewenberg stated 40 hours is a goal that should be worked at for all employees. The committee stated that the superintendant should not work more than 50 hours a week with the understanding that there will be times on shoulder seasons, emergencies and extra meetings that may lead to more than 50
hours. Prior to these events discussion with the chairperson of the beach committee will take place. It is the goal of the committee that all employees should not work more than 40 hours a week. It is in the best interest of the employees, patrons and the town.
4. A solution to the excessive hours was requested to the superintendant. A joint meeting between the Personnel board, beach committee and Tri-town committee was suggested if a quick solution wasn’t presented.
5. E-mails and letters will be reviewed next meeting.
6. Voted to adjourn 8:30pm.