Chilmark Beach Committee
July 16th, 2009
Present: Pam Bunker, Clarissa Allen, Martina Mastromonaco, Steve McQuiggan , Kristin Maloney , Wayne Iacono, David Zellinger, Bob & Sarah Nixon, Ron & Mary(MV Island Tours)
1. Meeting called to order 7:03pm.
2. Voted unanimously to approve June 11th, 2009 minutes.
3. Owners Bob & Sarah Nixon and Manager David Zellinger came before the Committee to discuss the private van shuttle service they have hired for the Menemsha & Beach Plum Inn to bring guests to and from the beaches. Owners stated they couldn’t count on the VTA’s schedule. VTA bus hasn’t been allowed to Squibnocket beach because it’s inability to maneuver around and exit parking lot. The Inn has drafted a shuttle schedule with the help of MV Island tours. The owners of the Inns have requested the town to revisit the current drive on passes for the Inns. A committee member pointed out to the manager and owners of
the Inns that at the May 20th meeting when the Inn manager came in to request and was granted an additional placard for each beach for one year because the Blueberry Inn was closed that the manager never mentioned there was a shuttle van being considered for use instead of the current VTA service. The manager of the Inn’s denied this and stated he’d been working on this shuttle service for the Inns all winter. Martina the Superintendent stated there have been challenges with the introduction of this shuttle van: Superintendant has not been provided with a schedule. There is great concern when the lot is full that there could potentially be conflict between patrons, staff and shuttle service if shuttle tries to pass cars waiting and takes a space. The Superintendant stated when the lot is full the van can not travel down to the bottom of the parking lot. Some of the Van shuttle drivers have not stopped at the gate to
identify themselves. After much discussion there will be a space provided at both beaches for the van to drop off and pick up provided it does not stop and wait for an extended amount of time. A magnet will be placed on the side of the van to clearly identify itself. The drivers will stop and properly identify themselves to the gate guards, the emphasis will be placed on the van patrons that they must sit and wait for the van to completely come to a stop before entering or exiting shuttle van.
4. There is a problem with people parking at Squibnocket before 9am then not leaving. Violators do not seem to mind tickets issued. Committee will discuss possible solutions to this problem.
5. Proposed field trip policy has been postponed to the next meeting for review.
6. Dune restoration grant should be looked into further. Possibly a capitol improvement plan proposed and working in conjunction with the Chilmark pond Association will be explored. This was also continued to the next meeting.
7. Voted to adjourn 8:30pm.