Chilmark Beach Committee
September 25th , 2008
Present: Clarissa Allen, Kristin Maloney, Martina Mastromonaco & Steve McQuiggan, W. Iacono
1. Meeting called to order 6:30pm
2. Voted to schedule upcoming meetings: October 30th, November 20th, December 18th, January 22nd, February 19th, March 19th & April 23rd. At 5:00pm at the Chilmark town hall
3. Discussion about leaving the stairs up at Squibnocket beach after season is over; the problem of sand erosion at the bottom of the stairs because of the rough weather in the fall and winter months is a liability problem even if the stairs were anchored on the rocks up on the parking lot. Where the stairs meet the sand would potentially be unsafe. Chairperson suggested that this may be an issue the Board of Selectmen might undertake and decide, because if it is past the summer season it might not be the beach committee’s decision. Another suggestion was that possibly the land owners who abut the property on the Squibnocket farm
side might consider creating permanent stairs.
4. A suggestion was made to review mail-in sticker program as a possible savings to the annual budget. Committee stated the mail-in program’s pro’s and con’s should be looked at before eliminating this service to taxpayers.
5. Committee will review and work on budget with the Superintendent at the November 20th meeting.
6. Superintendent has been working on performance evaluations of the beach staff.
7. Committee member will bring in sketches for new beach shack and talk to the high school for a quote.
8. Committee member will look at the beach leases to consider revision of opening and closing beach seasons.
9. Surfing lessons appear to still be taking place. The Squibnocket lease will be reviewed and possible new regulations adopted prohibiting commercial activity during beach hours of operation after advertising and public hearing held.
10. Dumpster will stay at Lucy Vincent until Columbus Day.
11. Voted to adjourn meeting 8:00pm