Chilmark Beach Committee
July 31st, 2008
Present: S. McQuigan, C. Allen, K. Maloney, M. Mastromonaco, K. Pietruska
1. Meeting called to order 7:10 p.m.
2. Voted to approve minutes from 7/17/08
3. Pond bacteria has tested acceptable
4. Fence at Far end keeps falling down at high tide.
5. Discussion of increasing lifeguard staff by one. The lifeguards are not able to get around the main cliff. Superintendent stated she needs to have a guard on each side this year.
6. Discussion of incident report of men being verbally abusive. The beach incident report stated the patron did not have a sticker on the car and refused to stop for gate guard at Squibnocket, patron will be called from Clarissa.
7. Follow up on surfing lessons. Surfers were spoken about not giving lessons for money during beach hours.
8. No taxis have been coming in since last meeting. Will continue to watch.
9. Two people were assisted back to beach due to rip current. Unable to do so without the aide of the Beach Guards.
10. Discussion of employee suspended without pay for stealing property out of a parked car while on duty as parking attendant. The employee has opportunity to dispute termination but failed to do so. Committee supports superintendent’s termination of this employee.
11. Committee reviewed Assistant job position and pay grade. Discussion about continuing step increase. Committee reiterated it is inconsistent with other departments in the town where the Assistant receives the same grade pay as the Superintendent.
12. Rescue kayak or rescue board, Superintendent is going to review budget and order the kayak, Steve McQuiggin will help Martina with choosing equipment.
13. Voted to approve 8:25 p.m.