Chilmark Beach Committee
July 17th, 2008
Present: C.Allen, P. Bunker, K. Maloney, S. McQuiggin, W. Iacono, M. Mastromonaco & K. Petruska
1. Meeting called to order 7:05 pm
2. Motion made and seconded to approve minutes from July 3rd.
3. The Beach Superintendent informed the Committee about the dolphin which beached itself at Lucy Vincent. She notified Woods Hole Oceanographic and when she checked the next morning the dolphin was gone.
4. The Beach Superintendent informed the Committee about the shark sighting from South Abel’s Hill and closed the beaches for swimming for about an hour.
5. Chilmark upper pond’s bacteria tested too high for acceptable bacteria count and the pond was closed to swimming pending new test results.
6. Fencing is around cliff on Lucy Vincent Beach because people keep hurting themselves during high tide.
7. Squibnocket Beach’s parking lot is filling up too fast for one gate guard to handle adequately an additional parking guard will be assigned to help patrons park closer to each other.
8. The committee discussed solutions for turning around at the end of the Squibnocket road instead of having cars and taxi’s drive around the parking lot to exit.
9. Committee discussed anonymous e-mail about a non-resident obtainging a beach sticker. The Superintendant investigated and provided note from homeowner stating these people are their guests. The Lease states that town residents, guests or renters may enjoy beach.
10. Committee discussed the excessive amount of dogs on Squibnocket beach after hours, owners not picking up the mess the dogs leave behind. A sign will be created to encourage patrons to clean up after dogs so not to jeopardize dog access.
11. Taxi companies are asking to turn around in parking lot, letting their customers out as part of an island tour. The Committee voted unanimously to have these taxi cabs turn around at the end of the road, not drive around the parking lot to discourage commercial activity involving town beaches. A letter will be drafted and mailed to taxi companies.
12. The committee was made aware that there are several people giving surfing lessons during the operational hours at Squibnocket. The Committee voted unanimously to not allow commercial activity during the hours that the beach is open.
13. July 24th the Beach Committee will attend the Personnel Board to present the job descriptions for the Beach Superintendent & Asst. Beach Superintendent. The Committee voted unanimously to approve the job descriptions.
14. voted to adjourn at 8:30pm.