Chilmark Beach Committee
July 3rd, 2008
Present: C.Allen, P. Bunker, K. Maloney, S. McQuiggin, W. Iacono, M. Mastromonaco & K. Petruska
1. Meeting called to order 7:03 pm
2. Motion made and seconded to approve minutes from June 19, 2008.
3. Manager from the Beach Plum & Menemsha Inn came in to defend the Inn. There was a wedding that took place on Lucy Vincent. Weddings are currently against the rules of that beach. The Manager of the Inn’s stated that it was the guests that rented all of the rooms and “concocted the sinister plan to go to Lucy Vincent and hold a wedding” He stated he had a “feeling” something was going on in March but the Inn had no involvement with this event. The board felt the Beach Superintendent handled this situation very professionally. Discussion took place about the wedding and what happened. The Inn was
informed weddings on Lucy Vincent are against the rules and this shouldn’t happen again.
4. The Manager from the Beach Plum & Menemsha Inn also wanted to discuss events on Menemsha Beach. The Nixon’s who own the two Inn’s also own a parcel of land Map 21 Lot 81 which abuts the Town’s beach in Menemsha. He would like to hold Inn events, access the beach from Menemsha Parking lot and asked whether the Inn is exempt from the beach event permit process. The Board told the Inn manager to give the Superintendent a list of the dates as to not have two parties on Menemsha beach at the same time and requested the manager of the Inn to shuttle guests to the beach so, not to take up car space in the parking lot. The
Manager said he would have a shuttle bring his guests to the beach for an event and provide a list to the Superintendent.
5. Chuck Hodgkinson presented 3 yrs. of timesheets submitted by the Beach Superintendent. He compared summer hours to winter hours on a graph. The graph showed the summer hours are far greater than winter hours. Chuck stated FY2009 hours have significantly increased since FY2008. Superintendent stated two weeks of hours were not included and should have been. The hours show that the Superintendent has worked over 60 to70 hours a week during the summer. Concern from the board was expressed at working so many hours. Humane working conditions, safety, quality of life. Martina stated she gets the job done and doesn’t mind
working all those hours and has been doing this since 1992. The Board said they will take this all under advisement and make a decision about this analysis and the hours next meeting. The Board stated a 2nd Asst. Superintendent should be considered as used in the past. To relieve Martina’s workload.
6. Discussion took place about people who own land to the East of Lucy Vincent but have been unable to access their beach parcels in recent years. They have been denied access by the Lucy Vincent beach staff. Superintendent expressed concern about trespassing on other private beach lots once access is granted to these owners over Lucy Vincent. The Board stated it is the responsibility of the other private beach owners to allow or deny access of people to their beach lots not the Lucy Vincent beach staff. The Board stated owners, guests and renters should not be denied access to their beach lots because they have to pass over Lucy Vincent. Special walk-on passes will be issued and Martina will sign the back of these passes so the beach guards will not obstruct future accessibility. A motion was made, seconded and unanimously voted these land owners will have unobstructed access.
7. A request was made by the Board to obtain the Squibnocket beach lease with the Town to review and discuss.
8. voted to adjourn at 8:30pm.